Our office will be closed in observance of:
Jan 17 ……… Martin Luther King Day
Feb 21 …….. President’s Day
Apr 15 …………Good Friday
May 30 ……… Memorial Day
Jun 20 ……………Juneteenth
Jul 4 ……………Independence Day
Sept 5 ……….. Labor Day
Nov 11 ………. Veteran’s Day
Nov 24 & 25 …… Thanksgiving
Dec 26 …………… Christmas
Property Tax Law Deadlines
This calendar shows important property tax deadlines for appraisal districts, taxing units and property owners. Unless otherwise noted, all sections are Tax Code citations.
Tax Code Section 1.06 provides that “[i]f the last day for the performance of an act is a Saturday, Sunday, or legal state or national holiday, the act is timely if performed on the next regular business day.” The deadlines shown in this calendar reflect dates as they are provided in the law without any adjustment for an extension that might be applicable. Contact your local appraisal district or tax office if a due date falls on a weekend or holiday. To the extent that you need or want legal advice or seek an interpretation of statutory provisions, you should contact an attorney.
This information is provided by the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts as a public service and is intended to be used solely for informational purposes. The information neither constitutes nor serves as a substitute for legal advice. To obtain professional assurance regarding the issues addressed herein, the services of a competent professional should be sought.
- Date that taxable values (except for inventories appraised Sept. 1) and qualification for certain exemptions are determined for the tax year (Secs. 11.42(a), 23.01(a), 23.12(f)).
- Date a tax lien attaches to property to secure payments of taxes, penalties and interest that will be imposed for the year (Sec. 32.01(a)).
- Date that members of county appraisal district (CAD) boards of directors begin two-year terms; half the members begin two-year terms if the CAD has staggered terms (Secs. 6.03(b), 6.034(a)and(e)).
- Date that half of appraisal review board (ARB) members begin two-year terms and that ARB commissioners begin one year terms (Sec. 6.41(d-8)).
- Date by which ARB commissioners, if appointed in the county, are required to return a list of proposed ARB members to the local administrative district judge (Sec. 6.41(d-7)).
- Deadline for chief appraisers to notify the Comptroller’s office of eligibility to serve as chief appraisers (Sec. 6.05(c)).
- Date the temporary exemption for qualified property damaged by disaster expires as a qualified property of the first tax year in which the property is reappraised under Sec. 25.18 (Sec 11.35(k)).